A gas leak has been blamed for an explosion that injured three people in south China's island province of Hainan on Sunday, public security authorities said.

The blast happened around 8:50 a.m. in a wine store in the capital city of Haikou, sources with the Meilan police bureau said.


A police investigation found that an employee surnamed Wang entered the store to find the kitchen stove had been left on.

While she was trying to turn off the gas, the blast occurred due to the high density of the gas, ignited by sparks, police said.

Three people were injured, including two seriously who were hospitalized. Wang suffered burns and is receiving treatment, but her condition is not life-threatening.

The store and two nearby shops were damaged by the explosion. The impact of the blast also damaged several cars on the roadside.

A witness surnamed Fu said he heard a loud bang and saw heavy smoke and dust billow out of the store.

SOURCE: peopledaily
Editorial Message
This site contains materials from other clearly stated media sources for the purpose of discussion stimulation and content enrichment among our members only. 

whatsonsanya.com does not necessarily endorse their views or the accuracy of their content. For copyright infringement issues please contact