Chen Zonghao turned himself in after living as a fugitive for 28 years. (Internet Photo)
Police in Wanning, a city in Hainan province, drove in a heavy typhoon for more than ten hours, crossing 1,100 kilometers to reach Danshui county, Guangdong province on Oct. 3, to persuade a fugitive who was sentenced to prison for a rape 28 years ago to confess his crime. When they got there, the officers were shocked to discover that the victim had married her assailant a year after the incident.
The fugitive is awaiting trial and police officers said they will communicate with prosecutors and possibly remove the charges against the assailant, according to Want Daily.
Twenty-eight years ago, the parents of a girl from Wanning reported to the police that Chen Zonghao, from Guangdong, had raped their daughter. Based on criminal law at the time, Chen was filed for "immoral behavior." After the incident, Chen fled back to Danshui city and was listed as a fugitive by the police, according to the South China Sea news network.
On the morning of Oct. 2 of this year, police officers in Wanning received instructions from Zhang Zhaoteng, chief of Wanning city’s Public Security Bureau, saying that they were to bring Chen back to Wanning.
When confronted, Chen refused to surrender at first, but the police said they were prepared to arrest him forcibly. After negotiations, Chen said he was willing to return to Wanning in the company of the police. Around midnight, Chen kept his word and went back to Wanning with the police officers.
According to the police, the year after the incident, the victim of the case was embarrassed to stay in her hometown and contacted Chen. The two have been married ever since, have two sons and one daughter, and are currently running a successful wholesale store in Danshui. The couple has never returned to Wanning.

Editorial Message 
This site contains materials from other clearly stated media sources for the purpose of discussion stimulation and content enrichment among our members only. does not necessarily endorse their views or the accuracy of their content. For copyright infringement issues please contact