Hilton Wenchang observes Earth Hour 2016
The hotel joined thousands of Hilton Worldwide’s more than 4,600 properties across 102 countries in switching off energy and shining a light on climate change. The luxury hotel brand hosted various Earth Hour activities focused on reducing energy use and preserving the environment. Team Members, franchised employees, and guests took part in the events. This year, Hilton Worldwide is expanding its environmental celebrations to last throughout the whole month of March, reinforcing the company’s commitment to addressing climate change and making an even larger impact on saving the environment.
"Earth Hour is one of the many ways in which we show our commitment to energy conservation while delivering great guest experiences,” said Mr. Robert Tong, Hotel Manager of Hilton Wenchang. “We are encouraging our guests, neighbors, and hotel team to join us in support of this global effort."
In conjunction with the 2016 Earth Hour slogan, “Consume Less, Enjoy More,” the Hilton Wenchang observed Earth Hour by holding the following events:
– During the hour, guests were encouraged to leave their rooms and head down to the lobby to participate in the “Consume Less, Enjoy More” themed event.
– In celebrating Earth Hour, commitment cards were placed in the lobby for guests to join in on the global initiative by writing down their energy-saving commitments and sharing them in the lobby. Guests who joined the global initiative were given one of the “60+” logo cupcakes made for the special occasion.
– The hotel also arranged well-appointed rooms for guests, which took the formation of Earth Hour’s “60+” logo denoting the hotel’s commitment to Earth Hour.
– The hotel arranged a “bike to generate the most energy” contest in the lobby.
– The hotel also observed Earth Hour by switching off all non-essential lights and allowing diners to enjoy a candlelit dinner at the F&B facilities. The hotel also carried out a beach cleanup campaign and initiated social media promotions with the goal of causing a ripple effect within the local community to increase local commitment to environmental preservation initiatives.
The Hilton Wenchang has been diligent in rolling out various green initiatives since it opened in September 2015. The hotel actively practices green initiatives on a daily basis. In one initiative, the hotel replaced light bulbs with new LED/energy-efficient light bulbs, which resulted in significant energy savings. Other energy initiatives included operational efficiency improvements and paper recycling.
As part of its commitment to preserving the environment, Hilton Wenchang has put in place a weekly program in its team-member dining area focused on instilling awareness and driving action around food waste reduction. In line with Hilton Worldwide’s global commitment, Hilton Wenchang has also banned the serving of shark fin in its restaurants and all other food and beverage facilities managed by the hotel.
In an effort to take greater collective action to promote environmental sustainability, 8 individual Hilton hotels and resorts in Hainan Region have joined the global Earth Hour initiative by launching a variety of themed campaigns to call for employees and guests on action by doing their parts to protect our planet and its resources.
Previous news: Enjoy a memorable family vacation at Sheraton Sanya Resort